Saturday, July 17, 2010

Introduction

Casey from the Monkey Bar Gym in Madison, Wisconsin, became the second person to ask me if I had a blog. John McVay, President of Walla Walla University, first asked me in a cordial meeting just prior to the camp-out protest that would subsequently strain our relationship.

I've always thought it was good to have a multitude of voices on any given issue and this blog will feature mine, for what it's worth, on several. Mostly I'll be focusing on the effort to "live lightly" on the earth. And by that, I mean living a life that is ecologically sound, that is examined, and that is driven by a focus on the things that will make this a better planet. I'll talk more about what I mean by A New Materialism in another post. This blog will probably be all over the place, but hopefully it will become obvious that there is a particular direction in its content.

A little bit about myself: I just graduated from Walla Walla University with a BA in history and a minor in English. I ended up attending four different college and universities in four years. Lest you immediately assign me to a category reserved for people like Sarah Palin, my "tour of academic diversity" was completely on purpose. I wanted to get different perspectives on education theory. So,  during my sophomore year, I took fall semester at Framingham State College in Framingham, MA; winter quarter at Eastern Washington University in Cheney, WA; and spring quarter at The Evergreen State College in Olympia, WA.

In the fall, I will start a semester-long internship with the National Geographic Society. I will be working in the area of education public policy. I'm really excited about the position because both education and public policy are two of the things I am most interested in. 

I've also got a lengthy reading list I'm slogging through right now (I'll post about this later) and I like to eat fruit.

I participate in two other blogs: The Tickle Closet (don't read too much into what you find there) and a photo blog, Sweet As Pictures, Summer 2010.

Enjoy

2 comments:

  1. This is why we're friends. I mean it's not why, but it's a symptom of the reason. I miss you man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you Alex. Feel free to shout back at me about any of this stuff.

    ReplyDelete