Sunday, August 8, 2010

Stephen Hawking sounds the alarm

I wanted to share something I discovered last night. It appears that Dr. Hawking is a little pessimistic about our ability to exist on this planet.



For those who don't know, Stephen Hawking is pretty smart. However, he seems to be preoccupied with space, and I'm not as down on our chances as he is.

Though I agree with him that we have "aggressive and selfish instincts" that don't help our chances of survival at this point in the race's history, I think the human race has the ability to overcome our "aggressive and selfish instincts" with more farsighted ideas. Further, I think that nature has the ability to regenerate from the damage we have done to it.

Ultimately, it is up to us whether we will continue down the road of excessive consumption, or whether we  will find a way to exist as part of our natural ecosystem.

No comments:

Post a Comment